10 Tips help you conquer the temptation to overeat on Thanksgiving
11/24/2015With these 10 Tips from Carle clinical dietitian LaDonna Jenkins, MS, RD, LDN, you can get through Thanksgiving and feel thankful that you kept the urge to overdo under control.
- Don’t start when you’re starving: Have healthy meals before the big one so you don’t overeat.
- Strive for colorful: Choose fruits and veggies to get good nutrition and feel fuller faster.
- Control those carbs: Forgo last year’s mega-dollops of mashed potatoes, noodles and dressing.
- Combat that fat: Skip the turkey skin. Be better with less butter. Don’t go gravy crazy.
- Drink lots of water: You will feel full more quickly and stay happily hydrated.
- Eat slowly: Enjoy your food, family and friends to help avoid that overfull feeling.
- Save room for dessert: You mastered your meal. Now indulge—a little. Half a slice of pie will do!
- Leave the table: Move the festivities to another room so you don’t mindlessly snack.
- Now get some exercise: Bundle up and take walk. Dance while you do dishes. Anything helps.
- Leftovers lift: Instead of turkey sandwiches, make low-salt turkey soup with lots of vegetables.