National Study: Hospital is top five-percent in several care areas
Healthgrades, the nation’s leading online resource that helps consumers search, compare and connect with physicians and hospitals, has named Carle Foundation Hospital one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals in critical care.
These achievements were released with other new findings in Healthgrades 2016 Report to the Nation, which evaluates hospital performance at over 4,500 hospitals nationwide for 33 of the most common inpatient procedures and conditions.
“Carle remains committed to raising the health care bar which requires having the best staff, facilities, leading-edge technologies and fostering research initiatives,” said Matthew Gibb, MD, executive vice president and chief medical officer. “Being benchmarked against other U.S. hospitals reaffirms we remain on the right track to provide high quality care to our patients.”
Dr. Gibb added, “We are proud to see Carle receiving so many Healthgrades awards and five-star ratings on a consistent basis. This shows that our providers are at the top of their respective fields delivering care.”
The new report demonstrates how clinical performance differs dramatically between hospitals and the impact that this variation may have on health outcomes and organizational costs. For example, from 2012-2014, if all hospitals as a group, performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a group, on average 222,392 lives could potentially have been saved and 166,086 complications could potentially have been avoided. A 5-star rating indicates that Carle Foundation Hospital’s clinical outcomes are better than expected when treating the condition or conducting the procedure being evaluated.
Healthgrades honored Carle Foundation Hospital with their 2016 annual Excellence Awards in the following areas:
• Stroke care (top five-percent nationally)
• Critical care (top five-percent nationally)
• Pulmonary care (top 10-percent nationally)
• Treatment for heart attack (2009-2016)
• Defibrillator procedures (2014-2016)
• Hip replacement
• Spinal fusion surgery
• Colorectal surgeries
• Treatment for stroke (2007-2016)
• Treatment for pneumonia (2008-2016)
• Treatment for sepsis (2010-2016)
• Treatment for respiratory failure (2011-2016)
As a health system serving east central Illinois, Carle has attained significant accreditations and recognition for quality of care, staff expertise and services. These include:
• Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence certification from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
• Magnet Status for excellence in nursing care (1 of 300 U.S. hospitals)
• Primary Stroke Center
• Chest Pain Center
• The area's only Level I Trauma Center
• The area’s only Level III Perinatal Service
Visit Healthgrades.com/quality for more information.