Based in Urbana, Ill.,The Carle Foundation is the not-for-profit parent company of an integrated network of healthcare services. At its core are Carle Foundation Hospital, Carle Physician Group and Health Alliance Medical Plans. The 413-bed regional care hospital has achieved Magnet® designation, the nation's highest honor for nursing care. The Mills Breast Cancer Institute, Carle Cancer Center, Carle Spine Institute and Carle Heart and Vascular Institute bring additional advanced diagnostic and treatment options.
Carle Physician Group, the outpatient practice serving nearly 170,000 unique patients annually, is comprised of more than 400 physicians dedicated to providing the highest quality care in 80 specialties located in 14 communities across central Illinois. As an integrated system, Carle remains a committed partner in strengthening the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
- The area's only Level I Trauma Center
- The area's only independent Level III Perinatal Service
- Primary Stroke Center
- Clinic locations in 14 communities
- 25 departments including surgical, cardiovascular and neonatal ICUs
- The primary teaching hospital for the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
- DNV Full Accreditation
- DNV Primary Stroke Center Accreditation
- Designation as a Level I Trauma Center and a Level III Center for Perinatal Care by the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Magnet Status for excellence in nursing care for Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group
- ISO 9001:2008 Certification
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Full accreditation for Inpatient Rehab, including Stroke Specialty, by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF); Brain Injury Specialty Certification
- Accreditation as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers
- Accreditation for AirLife by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems
- Certificate of Accreditation with commendations for the Carle Cancer Registry from the Commission on Cancer; Carle is a Community Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Program approved through 2014
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
- Sponsoring institution for an ACGME Accredited General Surgery Residency Program
Awards & Accomplishments
- 2017 Notable Healthgrades awards:
- America's 50 Best Hospital Award™ (2 years in a row)
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care™ (6 years in a row)
- Top 1% in the nation for consistent clinic quality
- Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™
- Most Wired Award by Hospitals & Health Networks (6 years for Carle; 5 years for Carle Hoopeston Regional Health Center and the first year for Carle Richland Memorial Hospital)
- Top 34 Hospitals for Hip Replacements by Consumer's Report (reported by Becker's Orthopedic Review)
- 100 Great Healthcare Leaders to Know, CEO/President James C. Leonard by Becker's Hospital Review
For nearly a century, Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group have shared a vision for providing high-quality health care.
The history of these entities began in 1918 when Margaret Burt Carle Morris left $40,000 to the City of Urbana, Ill. for the purpose of starting a hospital. Her donation led to the creation of The Urbana Memorial Hospital Association. Her name – Carle – has been maintained, an enduring testimony to the roots of the organization.
In 1931, J.C. Thomas Rogers and Hugh L. Davison, two physicians from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, moved to Urbana and opened what was then called Carle Memorial Hospital and the Rogers-Davison Clinic. Housed in the abandoned Eastern Illinois Medical Sanitarium, the Clinic and 15-bed Hospital introduced the concept of multi-specialty group practice to the area.
Though the Clinic and Hospital were separated into two distinct organizations in 1946, they were reunited on April 1, 2010 and continue to provide high-quality health care and advancements in medical research.
Together known simply as Carle, Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group are proud of a long history bringing world-class health care to the residents of east central Illinois.
James C. Leonard, MD
President Chief Executive Officer, The Carle Foundation
John M. Snyder
Executive Vice President and System Chief Operating Officer
Dennis P. Hesch
Executive Vice President and System Chief Financial Officer
Executive Vice President, System Strategic Planning
Laurence J. Fallon
Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Affairs and Human Resources Officer
Matthew Gibb, MD
Executive Vice President and System Chief Medical Officer
Lynne C. Barnes
Chief Operating Officer, Carle Foundation Hospital and Senior Vice President, Women's Health
Senior Vice President, Chief Nursing Officer
Senior Vice President of System Consulting
Vice President, Marketing and Government/Community Relations
Vice President of Rural Health and CEO, Carle Hoopeston Regional Health Center
Vice President, Quality Services
Jennifer Eardley, PhD
Vice President, Research
Vice President, System Provider Recruitment
Vice President, Finance and Treasury
Vice President, Center for Philanthropy
Vice President, Carle Neuroscience Institute and Heart and Vascular Institute
Vice President, Chief Risk and Corporate Integrity Officer
Vice President, Champaign-Urbana Primary Care, and Medical and Pediatric Specialties
Vice President, Corporate Counsel
King Li, MD
Carle Illinois College of Medicine Dean and Carle Vice President and Chief Academic Officer
Vice President, Surgical Services, Cancer Center and Diagnostic Services
Vice President, Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
Vice President, Human Resources
Vice President of Community Health Initiatives
Dawn B. Walden
Vice President Revenue Cycle Operations, Pharmacy Services and Windsor of Savoy
Dr. Arwari, MD, FACP, SFHM
Regional Medical Director
Robert Healy, MD
Chief Medical Quality Officer, Medical Director of GME and DIO
William Schuh, MD
Chief Medical Information Officer, Medical Director of the Research Institute
Chief Innovation Officer
Board of Trustees
Kenneth Aronson, M.D.
Immediate Past Chair
Rajagopal Echambadi, PhD
Andy Arwari, MD
Jonathan Bailey, MD
ex officio trustee
Uretz Oliphant, MD
Paul Tucker, PhD
James Leonard, M.D.
ex officio non-voting
The Carle logo is the property of Carle and may not be reproduced or copied for any purpose without written consent. When consent is given, the logo is to be used in accordance with Carle graphic standards.
Request electronic files of the logo at (217) 326-8501 or firstname.lastname@example.org.