Carle health system combines clinical care, health insurance, research and academics in a way that solves real-world problems today with an eye toward the future.
Supported by a deep philanthropic spirit, Carle is dedicated to doing what it takes to make life better for as many as possible. Its mission is to serve people through high-quality care, medical research and education.
Based in Urbana, IL, The Carle Foundation is vertically integrated with more than 7,000 employees in its hospitals, physician group, health plan and associated healthcare businesses including the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, the world’s first engineering-based medical school. The system’s flagship Carle Foundation Hospital ranks as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals by HealthGrades and for more than 10 years has held Magnet® designation, the nation’s highest honor for nursing care.
The system includes the 433-bed Carle Foundation Hospital, a Level I Trauma Center and Level III perinatal services center, the 24-bed critical access Carle Hoopeston Regional Health Center, the 118-bed Carle Richland Memorial Hospital, Carle Physician Group with more than 1,000 doctors and advanced practice providers, and Health Alliance.
Health Alliance is a leading provider-driven health plan serving Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio and Washington. In 2019, Health Alliance was awarded “Highest Member Satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in the Illinois/Indiana Region” in the J.D. Power 2019 Member Health Plan StudySM.
Strong employees deliver this consistent commitment to high-quality care, and Carle is proud to be named a Great Place to Work®.
- The area's only Level I Trauma Center
- The area's only independent Level III Perinatal Service
- Clinic locations in 14 communities
- 25 departments including surgical, cardiovascular and neonatal ICUs
- The primary teaching hospital for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine
- DNV GL Full Accreditation
- DNV GL Primary Stroke Center Certification
- Designation as a Level I Trauma Center and a Level III Center for Perinatal Care by the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Magnet Status for excellence in nursing care for Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group
- ISO 9001 Certification
- Designation as an Emergent Stroke Ready Hospital by the Illinois Department of Public Health (Carle Hoopeston Regional Health Center)
- Accreditation as a Chest Pain Center by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
- Designation as a Lung Screening Center by the American College of Radiology
- Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS)
- Full accreditation for Inpatient Rehab, including Stroke Specialty, by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF); Brain Injury Specialty Certification
- Certificate of Accreditation with commendations for the Carle Cancer Registry from the Commission on Cancer; Community Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Program
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
- Designation as a Level 3 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC)
- Sponsoring institution for an ACGME Accredited General Surgery Residency Program
- ACE™ Accredited for cardiac catheterization and percutaneous coronary intervention
Awards & Accomplishments
- Great Place to Work® in Healthcare
- Leapfrog Patient Safety Grade A Rating (Fall and Spring 2018)
2019 Notable Healthgrades awards:
- America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award (4 yrs. in a row)
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award (9 yrs. in a row)
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care (3 yrs. in a row)
- America’s 100 Best Coronary Intervention
- America’s 100 Best Critical Care
- America’s 100 Best Gastrointestinal Care
For nearly a century, Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group have shared a vision for providing high-quality health care.
The history of these entities began in 1918 when Margaret Burt Carle Morris left $40,000 to the City of Urbana, IL, for the purpose of starting a hospital. Her donation led to the creation of The Urbana Memorial Hospital Association. Her name – Carle – has been maintained, an enduring testimony to the roots of the organization.
In 1931, J.C. Thomas Rogers and Hugh L. Davison, two physicians from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, moved to Urbana and opened what was then called Carle Memorial Hospital and the Rogers-Davison Clinic. Housed in the abandoned Eastern Illinois Medical Sanitarium, the Clinic and 15-bed Hospital introduced the concept of multi-specialty group practice to the area.
Though the Clinic and Hospital were separated into two distinct organizations in 1946, they were reunited on April 1, 2010, and continue to provide high-quality health care and advancements in medical research.
Together known simply as Carle, Carle Foundation Hospital and Carle Physician Group are proud of a long history bringing world-class health care to the residents of east central Illinois.
Board of Trustees
Paul Tucker, PhD
Andy Arwari, MD
Immediate Past Chair
Jonathan Bailey, MD
Rajagopal Echambadi, PhD
Aja Lystila, MD
Uretz Oliphant, MD
D. Scott Reichard
James Leonard, MD
ex officio non-voting
The Carle logo is the property of Carle and may not be reproduced or copied for any purpose without written consent. When consent is given, the logo is to be used in accordance with Carle graphic standards.